At the end of 2012 I set what seemed like a hefty goal for this year: read 100 books in 2013. I seriously thought I was crazy but figured what the hey, might as well give it a try. The point was to just read as much as possible since for years I had been so caught up in school, work, & friends and barely could finish a book in a whole year. I never thought that half way through November I would be announcing that I’ve not only reached my goal, but surpassed it! Holy smokes, Batman!
This has really been a great year in reading. My girlfriends and I started a book club back in March and it’s now almost doubled in size. Through book club I’ve been introduced to some great new (to me) authors and genres that I may have missed out on reading otherwise. Thanks to Nate I’ve finally been introduced to the world of comic books. I have fallen head over heels in love with some great stories. Thank goodness for trade paperbacks! It makes it so much easier to catch up on series that have been established for years.
I’m so surprised I haven’t worn my library card down to nothing this year. I try to check out everything I can from the library just because our apartment is so small and finding room for new books is so difficult. When I do purchase books it’s usually for my Kindle (which I love love love) but it’s still not quite the same as holding a real book in your hands. One day when we finally settle down in a house I’m sure we’ll work hard to build a real library full of books.
I decided to put together a short list of my favorite books that I’ve read this past year, so if you’re looking for something new to read check these out:
- Best Fiction: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Honorable Mention: The Cuckcoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith)
- Best Non-Fiction: My Heart is an Idiot: Essays by Davy Rothbart (Honorable Mention: Her: A Memoir by Christa Parravani)
- Best Comic Book Series: The Unwritten by Mike Carey & Peter Gross (Honorable Mention: Trillium by Jeff Lemire)
- Best YA Novel: Allegiant by Veronica Roth (Honorable Mention: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell)
- Best Children’s Book: Wildwood by Colin Meloy (Honorable Mention: I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen)
And for my complete list click here. I’ll continue to update it until the end of the year. Then I’ll have to think of a new reading goal for 2014!
How many books have you read this year?